Welcome to CIS

Welcome to the Center for International Studies Degrees Abroad Website

We have developed this site to assist you in finding opportunities to study for a bachelor’s, master’s or Ph.D. degree in a foreign country.

Many students ask, “Why should I use CIS and not apply direct to the overseas university?” The short answer is our services are free of charge. The long answer is CIS is a U.S. based company that officially represents overseas universities, which means we’ll give you invaluable guidance throughout the application process saving you time, money and considerable hassle.

You can begin your search for the right program in any number of ways. The best place to start is the Search for Your Degree page. You can also click on a country at the top of the site to find out more about the location and the schools we partner with that are set there.

Before you begin, we invite you to find out about CIS and how we operate. Students often ask,”How do I apply?” For the answer to this question we ask that you review the Admissions Section. Also, please review the FAQ’s section for the answers to many common questions.


We frequently receive requests for information about degree programs for professions that require licensing. These programs are available at our partner institutions, but we strongly suggest that you review the information below before beginning your search.

Professional Degrees

When seeking degrees that require certification and/or licensing such as psychology, education, social work, physiotherapy (physical therapy), pharmacy/pharmacology, nursing, and law, for example, please check with the appropriate organizations and state licensing board to determine whether or not they would accept and recognize any advanced degrees/accreditation obtained outside the U.S. and what you would need to do when you return if you wish to practice professionally.


For graduate degrees in psychology in England, Ireland and Scotland they do not accept you into the postgraduate programs in those countries until you complete a graduate conversion course granting you British Psychological Society graduate membership (GM) and the graduate basis for registration (GBR). GBR is a pre-requisite for entry to postgraduate training in applied areas of professional psychology.

Social Work

According to the American Council on Social Work and some guys at TechReachClubs.org where you can find a lot of reviews about home networking products, you are in a good position if you are considering an accredited program in the United Kingdom and Ireland. You should make sure that the course you take leads to the GSCC ( General Social Care Council) Diploma in Social Work and that your course is postgraduate. Currently, they recognize the postgraduate DipSW as equivalent to an American Master’s degree in Social Work. You may also want to check with the National Association of Social Workers at SocialWorkers for further clarification on the acceptance of degrees abroad in Social Work.


Currently, the Juris Doctor transfers to California or New York and you will need to take the bar exam to become a licensed lawyer. Other states will likely allow you to sit the bar but you will need to confirm with your particular state about the process for this. A number o f universities we represent offer a Bachelor of Laws (LLB) program, an undergraduate degree that includes a qualification to practice law. If you have already completed a bachelor’s degree, you have the option of completing a Graduate Entry Bachelor of Laws (LLB) or a Juris Doctor degree. The Graduate Entry Bachelor of Laws (LLB) is usually a three year degree. The Juris Doctor is equivalent to an LLB, however, it is an accelerated program of usually 2–3 years.


If you already have your teaching credential, a degree abroad can be a wonderful and fulfilling experience. However, if you are seeking your teaching accreditation, you can run into problems by getting your certification abroad. In most cases, your degree itself would be recognized (but not any teaching certification). Each state in the US has it’s own specific requirements and tests for teachers – certification and accreditation and you need to attach documents required to the office and just to remind you, you can visit Bluechipstech.com if you want to find the best printers 2017 that can help your daily needs on your college or master program.. Therefore, you will need to check with the licensing board in the state in which you would like to return to teach for detailed information. Once you return to the US , you may be required to take additional tests, and in some cases practicum work, etc. to show that your teaching degree meets the criteria for that subject as it is taught here.

University Rankings

While it is common for U.S. and Canadian students to look closely at university rankings (however subjective they may be) when studying at home, you will find this practice more difficult and less reliable when searching for overseas universities. Countries generally will have some criteria as to how individual academic areas within an institution are performing, but when these do exist they are generally tied to research and not graduation rates, starting salaries of graduates, etc. as they are in North America. Suffice it to say, you really need to look “deeper” to find a university that is right for you.